Summer is almost here! And with it comes warmer temperatures, increased use in electricity, and sprinkler systems. Because of the increased demand and use of these home systems, our team of professional plumbers, electricians, and HVAC technicians want to give you a few tips, tricks, and reminders to help you this summer!
Electrical Hints to Stay Cool
Here are some electrical hints and tips that will help you stay cool this summer:
- Attic Fans – Attic fans help to vent the heat from your attic. This, in turn, helps to keep the rest of your house cool. Remember, heat rises.
- Whole-House Fans – Whole house fans, especially when used in concert with attic fans, can help maintain a cool temperature in your house this summer.
- Ceiling Fans – Make sure your ceiling fans are all set in the right direction this summer (Counterclockwise to push air down)
Summer Electrical Safety Tips
Here are some tips and tricks to help keep you safe around electricity this summer:
- Stay at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines.
- Use outlet covers on your outdoor receptacles.
- Use GFCI protection for all power in and around swimming pools, hot tubs, etc.
- Electricity and water don’t mix, keep your cords and devices away from water sources.
- Make sure all swimming pool electronics and outlets are grounded.
- Never handle electrical devices when wet.
- Do not swim during a thunderstorm.
- Don’t let your children climb trees near power lines.
- Only allow children to fly kites or play with airborne toys in wide-open spaces, far away from any power lines.
Summer HVAC Tips and Hints
- Invest in a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats allow you to control your HVAC units even when you’re not there. Match your thermostat to your schedule, use a timer for when you leave for work and when you come home, set it for particular rooms, and even set specific temperatures.
- Don’t forget about your air filters – Air filters should be replaced monthly to promote a more efficient system performance. Clogged or dirty air filters can cause a disrupt in the airflow and even lead to health concerns.
- Protect your HVAC from sun and debris – An awning or tree can provide shade to your unit and cut energy consumption while helping your unit operate more smoothly. However, note that shrubbery or branches that can get into the system and can hinder the performance of the system and may lead to permanent damage.
- Make sure that your vents are clean and open – It may be obvious, but it is truly remarkable what you may not notice about your own home. Vents can be accidentally shut for cleaning purposes and never reopened. If you see an unusually warm room or area in your home, don’t forget to check the vent.
- Think gravity – Heat rises. During those hot summer months, the heat in your home will rise to the ceiling or the second floor of your home. To help that hot air on its way out of your home, fans can be a great tool.
Plumbing Summer Hints and tips
These are some useful plumbing hints and tips:
- If you’re vacationing away from your home for several days, turn down your water heater to save energy. It’s also important to know that the average life of a water heater is anywhere from 8-11 years old. If you don’t know the age of your system, check the last four digits of the serial number on the tank. This will show you the month, and the year it was manufactured.
- Water your lawn at the right time! It’s suggested that the best time to water gardens and landscapes is in the early morning and evening after the sun goes down. If you decide to tend to your lawn in the middle of the day, that water can be lost due to evaporation from the heat throughout the day.
- Do you have trees planted on your front lawn? Any kind of tree growth can cause roots to make their way to your sewer line in search of water. If you suspect any damage (ie, sewage backups in your lowest level), give us a call to check your lines.
Call Brothers Plumbing, Heating and Electric
Giving us a call to come out and make sure that your cooling and/or air conditioning system is up to snuff can help you beat the heat this summer. Our affordable technicians are always just a quick phone call away. Give us a call at 303.468.2294 to schedule service today!