Vacant Home Winterization
Vacant home winterization is something that should be done by everyone who has a property that will be left unattended during the winter months. Freezing temperatures and the weight of snow can cause serious damage to your home and property, so proper vacant home winterization is a must. Here at Brothers Plumbing, Heating & Electric, we can help you get your home ready for the winter months. Give us a call at (303) 468-2294 for more information today.
A Step By Step Vacant Home Winterization Guide
In order to properly winterize a vacant home, just follow this guide:
- Make A List- Making a checklist is the first step to making sure that you remember to winterize every potential danger zone. It is also the best way to make sure you undo all of your winterizations when you return to your property.
- Turn Off The Water- Make sure all of the water is shut off on your property. This includes faucets, hose bibs, sprinklers etc. Also, make sure you shut the water main to your property off outside. This prevents water from freezing in your pipes which can cause severe damage. In addition to shutting off pipes, some professionals recommended putting 1floz of antifreeze down toilets and drain to further prevent freezing problems.
- Turn Down The Thermostat- You’re not going to be using the property, so why waste energy keeping it warm? Also, furnaces can cause fires and other damage, and when left unsupervised these become even more of a threat.
- Unplug Your Electronics- Make sure all your electronics and appliances are unplugged. A plugged-in electronic device is just another risk of a fire.
- Shut Off The Gas- Shutting off the gas for your appliances can help prevent both fires and an expensive gas bill from small leaks or an inefficient pilot light.
Winterizing Your Home Is Important
Keeping your home safe from damage and your pocketbook safe from needless expenses are the best reasons to make sure you winterize your vacant property this winter. Remember, freezing temperatures can cause serious damage to your home or business. If you need any kind of help with your vacant home winterization, then give our professional plumbers here at Brothers Plumbing, Heating & Electric a call.