Thanksgiving Hints Tips and Reminders
Thanksgiving is upon us! Black Friday also applies for Brothers as we see a heavy increase in plumbing calls the day after Thanksgiving due to the heavy workload your homes plumbing takes on during this festive time of year. Follow these tips to survive any Thanksgiving Holiday Extravaganza!
1. Never pour fats or cooking oils down drains. They solidify in pipes. Instead, wipe grease from pots with paper towels and throw in trash.
2. Avoid putting stringy, fibrous or starchy waste in the garbage disposal. Poultry skins, celery, fruit & potato peels, for example, cannot be sufficiently broken down.
3. Make sure the water and disposal are running when you put food into it. To help clean drains, run water for 30 seconds after turning disposal off.
4. For homes hosting weekend guests, it’s a good idea to wait ten minutes between showers so slow drains have time to do their job.
5. Never flush cotton balls, swabs, hair or facial scrub pads down a toilet. They don’t dissolve and will cause clogs.
6. Try to address any plumbing problems before the holiday and before guests arrive. However, in holiday emergencies, don’t hesitate to ask up front about extra holiday service fees.
7. As always, know your limits. Often, minor plumbing problems turn into plumbing catastrophes if not handled properly.
8. Definitely keep turkey bones out of your disposal. Not only is this bad for the blades, it’s not so giving on your ears!
9. Several egg shells mashed up can easily clog your drain when put down a disposal. Save those for the garbage can.
10. Have a happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Brothers Plumbing, Heating & Electric!