The end of summer is near which means that soon children will be trading in their swimsuits for backpacks. As most homeowners know, the back to school season is a great time to get a head start on your home maintenance before colder weather hits and a small problem turns into a big one. Taking care of those small leaks, cracks, or clogs and getting your furnace ready for the upcoming season will prevent costly issues down the road that cause stress to the whole family.
So, what can you do to ensure your home runs smoothly all through the school year?
- To keep your drain running clear all through the year, apply Bio Clean to your lavatories, kitchen sinks, bathtubs and showers. One application a month helps to eliminate hair and grease in drains that cause blockages, and without toxic chemicals!
- Check your sump pump (if you have one). It was two years ago that we got record rainfall, so check your sump pump to make sure it’s in good working order because there is nothing worse than a flooded basement to start off the school year!
- Check your pipes for any signs of leaks or cracks. If you find one contact us immediately as these types of repairs left untreated become very costly.
- This time of year is also great for making small changes that can improve your water efficiency to save on the water used for showering. Try switching your shower head to a high efficiency one and you will be helping to conserve water.
- Check your water heater to make sure everything is functioning properly. Make sure it’s not set at over 120 degrees Fahrenheit and does not have any cracks, leaks or rust on it. If you water heater is older than 10 years you might want to consider replacing it.
- With back to school comes fall and colder weather. Before you know it you will be turning on your furnace. Make sure it works before you need it to with a furnace check from Brothers and take advantage of the pre-season specials.
- Check your smoke alarms and CO2 detectors to ensure the batteries and the unit is functioning properly. If you live in a large home you should have one inside and outside of each bedroom or sleeping area. If you have these alarms in hard to reach areas give Brothers a call and we will happily come perform a check-up for you!
Lots of homeowners tend to wait until there’s a problem before going through and checking these items, but this really should be done at least once a year. Those who are diligent with their inspections and maintenance will save thousands in the long run. If you are short on time or just don’t know how, Brothers can help with annual inspections for your plumbing, heating & electrical systems! Check out our Home Care Club and leave the maintenance to us! Happy new school year!
Click here for some back to school savings!